Thursday, June 28, 2012

Week two: Thursdays with Cake Crumb Girl


                  Hello everybody! Today is my second Thursday of  cake decorating with my Nana.
The cake's in the oven. I split the batter in half again, just like I did last week.
Now it's time for me to go ahead and make some icing. As I was going through one of my Nana's books I came across a stiff consistency icing. It's worth a shot. I still haven't found a good icing recipe for roses yet, but as I said in my last post, it's also being affected by the warm, Summer heat.
I made two batches of Nana's icing again and one batch of the stiff consistency. Funny thing...
I ran out of crisco! So I had to call Nana to ask if she could bring me a cup when she came. Note to self: Always check on your supply of ingredients before starting. ;)
Nana has an excellent practice sheet set. Last week I did odds and ends of them, this week I planned a bit, so I'll be doing each sheet for lesson one (4 sheets)
Sheet one: Row one was a bit tricky, that was the only one I did absolutely terrible on.
Me, working on sheet number two.
Sheet two: I was really happy with this one. (Simply because, at the beginning of the day, I couldn't do stars at all! Now look where I am!)
Sheet three: Getting better at curves!
Sheet four: I'm really liking the lettering. ;)
I went ahead and put mine and Nana's frosting bags in the fridge while we ate lunch.
I used the stiff consistency for roses today and sticking them in the fridge every once and a while helped a lot. Especially since we didn't have the AC on today.
Me and Nana working on our weekly mini cakes. :)
Nana's end result.
Close up of Nana's cake.
My end result.
Close up of my cake.
I still have a long way to go with roses, but this is defiantly an improvement since last Thursday!

Have a great week!
-Cake Crumb Girl














2 comments:

  1. Wow, you did a really good job. Love the blue swirls with the roses on your cake. I'm glad your learning all this, then when you come over you can teach me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks, Lizzy! Haha yes. It will be so much fun teaching you. Mom's signing me up for some Wilton classes at Michael's. Along with 4, four week courses, a few one day classes, Thursdays with Nana, and making so many different cakes for different occasions, it will add up to a full credit for school! :D

    ReplyDelete