Friday, March 1, 2013

Course Three: Gum Paste and Fondant: Lesson One

     Finally, I got into cake decorating course three! Michael's Craft Store came up with a new rule that a Wilton class may not continue unless it has four people signed up at the minimum. I already had some experience with gum paste and fondant from Course two of cake decorating with Wilton.
But I would love to explain how to roll out fondant, because I don't think I've covered that yet.

Rolling Out Fondant or Gum Paste:

• Spread a think film of solid vegetable shortening on rolling surface or dust with dusting pouch.
• Knead fondant or gum paste until pliable before rolling. It is recommended to roll out fondant or gum paste on the Wilton Roll-N-Cut Mat.
• Flatten.
• Use medium pressure and the palms of your hands to push the Fondant Roller as you roll.
• Always roll from the center to the edges.
• If using dusting pouch rather than vegetable shortening, be sure to keep rolling surface lightly dusted to avoid sticking.
• Do not turn fondant or gum paste when rolling.
• As a general rule while rolling, if you want the fondant or gum paste to adhere to the surface
 and then release, use solid vegetable shortening. If you want it to slide freely (for ruffles and similar techniques), use a dusting pouch.
• If fondant or gum paste doesn't roll out easily, check to be sure it isn't sticking to the surface. Make sure your surface is prepared properly.

    A couple things that I was really excited about making in this course was a fondant bow, a cake board covered in fondant and making my first "real" fondant cake.
The only thing difficult in this course, was that kneading and the work that I was doing, required two hands, so I was not able to take as many pictures as I have been before.

                        In lesson one we cut out the strips of fondant for the a fondant bow
with the Wilton ribbon cutter that came in my course kit. It has several other cutting settings to which it can be a ruffled bow as well! I can't wait to try that out sometime.
Elba and I kneaded, rolled and cut out fifteen of these strips, then folded them in half and formed a loop while pressing the ends together. Then cut the corners off so that it was almost forming a triangle.
We were instructed to place them on a board and put away to dry so we would work with them the following week.
For the remainder of the class time, Elba and I formed Mum bases,
  Rose bases, and Carnation bases for following weeks to come.
Which I was also unable to capture pictures of, as they required two hands to make.
 
Fun lesson! Can't wait to learn more in Gum paste and Fondant!
 
-Cake Crumb Girl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment