Sunday, March 10, 2013

My First Two Tier Cake!

     My Aunt Wanda had called my mother earlier this week asking if we could bring a cake to a surprise birthday party for my Nana.
Of course I said yes! She is the person that started teaching me the very basics after all. And this was my gift to her to show her how far I've come, and in order to do that...I wanted to go a "step" up.
We picked up two 6" cake pans at the store, which just proves that we've never made anything more than a one layer cake.
     For my normal cake class I don't bother with using a cake recipe from scratch, I just use a box cake since my family normally doesn't eat the entire cake anyway. So this is my first decorated cake from scratch I believe! (Whoo Hooo!!) And instead of adding water to my regular icing recipe, to make it a little richer I added milk instead to give it a formal taste.

For the cake recipe I used:
Mrs. Billett's White Cake

Ingredients:


Parchment paper                                                 3 cups cake flower

1 cup milk                                                          1 tablespoon baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract                           5 egg whites

1 cup butter, softened

2 cups sugar


Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350 °. Grease 3 (8-inch) round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper, and grease and flour paper.

2. Stir together milk and vanilla.

3. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy;  gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Sift together flower and baking powder; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flower mixture. Beat at a low speed just until blended after each addition.

4. Bake at 350° for 20 to 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove pans from wire racks; discard parchment paper. Cool completely (about 40 minutes).

5. Ice your cake using about 1 cup of icing per layer.              

This cake was so much more different to ice! And it was simply because it was so tall. I loved it though!

The cake in total took me 5 hours. Starting at 9 am in the morning and finishing at 2 pm in the afternoon.
Everyone at the family gathering said that the cake tasted wonderful, and Nana was so surprised, and she loved being able to see in person how far I've come since our first cake together and our first icing rose.
Happy Birthday, Nana!
 
-Cake Crumb Girl
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment