Monday, April 1, 2013

Course Four: Advanced Gum Paste Flowers: Lesson One

     It's hard to believe that I've finally come to my last Wilton cake decorating course, the most delicate and realistic course yet, flowers. In this lesson, my classmate and I worked on the gum paste blossom, gerbera daisy and some sweet pea centers. I didn't have the chance to get very many pictures in this course, since it took a lot of time and required both of my hands for most of the work.

For the blossom I rolled out a thick piece of pink gum paste and cut it with the small blossom cutter.
I then got out the small blossom ejector and punched it onto the impression mat.


And it came out like this!

Easy, simple and adorable!

 
Next was the gerbera daisy. This was slightly more complex. I rolled out the gum paste very thin and cut it out with the gerbera daisy cutter, but it's very challenging to get the gum paste off the mat once it's cut out. So I had to repeat that step several times. Other than that, it made a gorgeous flower.
(Before Pearl dust)
 
(After Pearl dust)
To make the sweet pea center, I used the small blossom cuter and rolled the flower into a ball and placed it on florist wire.
 
 

I worked with it so it looks like a stomach sticking out.

 
Also I learned that you are never to insert florist wire directly into a cake, instead use flower spikes with can be found in the Wilton section at your local craft store.


Thanks for stopping by!
-Cake Crumb Girl
 

 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment